u‑blox has detected counterfeit u‑blox modules that are sold through non‑official sales channels and internet platforms, such as ebay or AliExpress. The products look very similar to the original u‑blox products, but they come from sources that copy our designs and use chipsets that are not sold by u‑blox or one of its authorized re‑sellers. In more extreme cases, there are false claims that modules have u‑blox GNSS chips inside.
Under the following links, you can check out a few examples of counterfeit NEO‑M8N modules:
None of the counterfeits that claim to be a u‑blox product or to contain u‑blox products meet the expected performance and quality standards as warranted by u‑blox. Here is a selection of issues that such counterfeits exhibit:
- Modules with wrongly denominated positioning engines (e.g. u‑blox 7 instead of u‑blox M8)
- Weak sensitivity and overall performance
- Poor material and manufacturing
- Insufficient and inappropriate memory to allow firmware upgrades
- Incorrect memory type (i.e. ROM instead of Flash, so the module is not upgradeable)
u‑blox cannot provide any support or for such counterfeit products and will decline any warranty and liability claims.
u‑blox exclusively sells chips and modules through its authorized sales network. Only products sourced through these official channels are original u‑blox products that meet the u‑blox specifications and carry the u‑blox warranty. Support is only available within these channels.
We therefore strongly advise to purchase u‑blox products through the official sales network only.